Search This Blog

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Drownded

Today's Word I Hate To Say is Drownded!

It has been a week or so since I have posted.  I apologize, but the holidays have been busy; as has my Winter Break college class.  It has been a busy, but productive time.  Merry Belated Christmas!

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Drownd/Drownding

Definition of DROWND

1. nonstandard variant of drown
--------------------------------------------
THE CORRECT WORD - Drowned/Drowning

1: a :  to suffocate by submersion especially in water
    b :  to submerge especially by a rise in the water level <villages drowned by the flooding river>
    c :  to soak, drench, or cover with a liquid
2:  to engage (oneself) deeply and strenuously <drowned himself in work>
3:  to cause (a sound) not to be heard by making a loud noise —usually used with out
4  a :  to drive out (as a sensation or an idea) <drowned his sorrows in liquor>



The word Drownded channels my inner-Redneck each time I say it. Even as it leaves my lips, I realize that I have said it wrong.  Don't laugh, you know do it too.  This is a very commonly misused word in the English language.  While everyone understands what you mean, it is technically incorrect.  My wife loves to point out this error in my way.  I don't really mind however, I deserve a zinger for using this Word I Hate To Say!

Reference
  • Drownd. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved December 26, 2013, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drownd
  • Drown. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved December 26, 2013, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to Words I Hate To Say. I appreciate your comments and for visiting!