Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Artic (Arctic)

Today's Word I Hate To Say is Artic!

Technically speaking, there is no such word as Artic, however it is a highly misused word for Arctic.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Artic
obsolete variant of arctic

ar·tic noun \ȧˈtik\
-s
Brit
:  semitrailer 2
short for articulated lorry

Since the only real definition of artic is actually a British abbreviation or slang for semitrailer, actually called an articulated lorry, I find this word highly annoying.  The true word is pronounced ARC-TIC, as in the Arctic Circle is way up North or let's go eat at Arctic Circle (for all you North-Westerners in the USA out there) home of the ORIGINAL Fry Sauce!

Artic is a word that I can best describe as a lazy word, a hillbilly word, or God-love-them, a redneck word! Those who use it, and I must admit, I too am guilty of being this lazy, are just uneducated as to the correct word, or are falling into their regional slang.

Tighten up the tongue people.  Right the ship!  It is Arctic...  As in it's way too stinking cold to care up there in the Arctic Circle!



Reference
Artic. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/artic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to Words I Hate To Say. I appreciate your comments and for visiting!