Search This Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Opulence

Today's Word I Hate To Say is Opulence!

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Opulence

op·u·lence noun \ˈä-pyə-lən(t)s\

1:  wealth, affluence
2:  abundance, profusion


Examples of OPULENCE
<in some parts of the city nearly unimaginable opulence can be found side by side with nearly unthinkable poverty>



First Known Use of OPULENCE
Circa 1510  <---------- Circa? Seriously?



Why do I hate the word opulence?  DIRECTV!  Their commercial featuring a creepy Russian guy, surrounded by half-clothed women, and kissing a miniature Giraffe developed a new-found level of loathing a word!

Opulence seems to ooze snobbishness to me.  A sort of - I am better than you and everyone knows it - mentality surrounds this word.  People who feel the need to describe their wealth as opulence remind me of the political "1%" that in most cases are just the life long politicians at the end of the day.  If you are rich, be happy you are blessed and never forget to bless others.  If you are poor, don't spend your days wanting someone else's wealth.  Let us never become so taken with ourselves and our wealth that we become an opulent person!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to Words I Hate To Say. I appreciate your comments and for visiting!