Search This Blog

Friday, December 6, 2013

Fiscal

Today's Word I Hate To Say is Fiscal!

If it isn't already apparent why I hate to say this word, I will give you a hint... it is physical!

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Fiscal

fis·cal adjective \ˈfis-kəl\
: of or relating to money and especially to the money a government, business, or organization earns, spends, and owes

1 :  of or relating to taxation, public revenues, or public debt <fiscal policy>
2 :  of or relating to financial matters
— fis·cal·ly   adverb

Examples 
the fiscal health of the university
<gained some fiscal knowledge by taking an economics course>

Alright, it isn't so much that I hate saying Fiscal, however, I hate how it is misused and mispronounced.  This is the real reason for my disdain.  We all know someone, if not ourselves, that have said "physical" when the word Fiscal was really intended.  Yet another word in the English language that sounds too similar and brings confusion.

We all must become physically responsible with our money. <--- Well, this may be true, but being Fiscally responsible with our money is just as important, wouldn't you think?  Agh!

Reference
Fiscal. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fiscal


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to Words I Hate To Say. I appreciate your comments and for visiting!