Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Wonky

First I wanted to apologize for the lack of post this past few days.  As with everyone from time to time, the busyness was overwhelming and I simply ran out of time to post.  So without further ado...

Today's Word I Hate To Say is Wonky!

Merriam-Webster Dictionary - Wonky
won·ky adjective \ˈwäŋ-kē\
won·ki·erwon·ki·est

Definition of WONKY
1 British :  unsteady, shaky
2 chiefly British :  awry, wrong

Examples of WONKY
- a wonky bureaucrat in the State Department
- She enjoys reading about tax law and other wonky stuff.
- He has a wonky knee.

Origin of WONKY
-probably alteration of English dialect wankle, from Middle English wankel, from Old English wancol; akin to Old High German wankōn to totter — more at wench

First Known Use: 1918.




So, today's Word I Hate To Say is one of those words that just seems, to me, to be pointless to use.  Rather than just say "the bridge is unsteady" or "After getting up too quickly I felt shaky," people try to get fancy (Notice that the word is derived from an Old High German word) and use the word Wonky instead.

Now, I try not to pick on people groups too much, but wonky reminds me of honky and honky reminds me of honky-tonk... and ultimately a honky-tonk is attended by rednecks and hillbillies. How's that for six-degrees of separation?

And... who couldn't think of Mr. Willy when you hear the word Wonky? Yes, I know it is Wonka, but close enough to spur the thought!



Wonky is a great way to describe the use of the word Wonky.  It seems like someone who uses it has simply let their mouth go awry!  ;)

Reference
Wonky. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved January 14, 2014, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wonky

(image) (December 29, 2009).  Update: Wonky pt. 2 (don’t call it Wonky). Retrieved January 14, 2014, from http://www.thebeatery.com/update-wonky-pt-2-dont-call-it-wonky

(image) (January, 2014). Retrieved July 7, 2015, from https://thebrotherhoodofevilgeeks.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-17594222-640-480.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I hate that word wonky too! It sounds childish and makes me cringe when I hear adults say it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to Words I Hate To Say. I appreciate your comments and for visiting!