Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Purpose For This Blog...

It may seem petty, ridiculous, and even stupid, but there are certain words and phrases in the English language that just irritate me to hear or to say.

The reason for this blog is a place to simply express my frustrations with certain words as I encounter them.  Simply put, a place where I can rant about these words whereby my family, especially my wife, will not have to heard about how much a dislike the words.

According to Mark Liberman at Language Log, there are "words that make you feel nauseous." It is just "something idiosyncratic, something about the way the word feels in your mouth as you say it."  This sums my feeling up very well.  Sometimes there just are not any good reason; but certain words just sound, feel, and invoke feelings that are wrong.

Since I do not want this to be a negative blog, but more for fun, I will attempt to provide a degree of education to my rants by offering the word and definition as a word of the day.  This should offset my negativity about a word with the positivity of the education found in that word.

As silly as this is...  here it is!  "Words I Hate To Say!" #wordsihatetosay

Reference
Liberman, M. (July 12, 2009). Word Rage Wins Again. Retrieved November 27, 2013 from, http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1573

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to Words I Hate To Say. I appreciate your comments and for visiting!